Is your skin always shiny with a greasy look? If your skin is overly oily, you cannot help to deal with that shiny look and you are always carrying that anti-sebum powder and blotting papers to keep the shiny and greasy look at bay. That should not always be the case. Investing in the best cleansers for oily skin can save you the nuisance of carrying around all these products. A good cleanser will help you control the production of excess sebum in your skin and keep your skin matte for a long. Read on because below is a list of the top-rated cleansers that will help you deal with oily skin.
- Editor’s Choices
- 10 Best Cleansers For Oily Skin Of 2024
- 1. La Roche-PosayEffaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser (Best For Sensitive Skin)
- 2. Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil Removing Foam Wash (Best For Oily Skin)
- 3. Youth to The People Kale Superfood Cleanser (Best For Combination Skin)
- 4. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (Best For Multi Use Skin)
- 5. Neocutis Neo-cleanse Exfoliating Skin Cleanser (Best No Harsh)
- 6. Ole Henriksen Find Your Balance Oil Control (Best Oil Control)
- 7. Burt’s Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream (Best For Natural Face)
- 8. EauThermaleAvene Cleansing Foam (Best For Normal Skin)
- 9. Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser (Best Large Pores)
- 10. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Fighting Facial Cleanser (Best Acne Treatment)
- How To Pick The Right Cleanser For Oily Skin?
- Frequently Asked Questions
10 Best Cleansers For Oily Skin Of 2024
1. La Roche-PosayEffaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser (Best For Sensitive Skin)
This is a face cleanser that gently cleanses oily skin without ripping off its essential oil and maintaining the skin PH balance. This oil-free foaming gel is formulated with zinc pidolate that helps in removing excess oil and shine from the skin.
The face cleanser is gentle enough for everyday use and it purifies the skin without over-drying it. The foaming gel cleanser is suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skins as it is oil, alcohol, and soap-free.
- Removes excess oil and shine
- Maintains skin PH balance
- Suitable for sensitive and acne-prone skins
2. Cetaphil PRO DermaControl Oil Removing Foam Wash (Best For Oily Skin)
This is a clinically proven oil removing cleanser that removes any dust, impurities, makeup, and oil from your skin. The cleanser is specifically designed for people with acne and sensitive skin. It is formulated using licorice root extract using zinc technology to help soothe and calm the irritated skin.
The formula does not clog to your pores and it removes surface oil and dirt easily leaving your skin fresh and clean. This cleanser helps maintain healthy skin PH balance and it is gentle enough for daily usage.
- Oil-controlling formula
- Formulated for acne-prone skins
- Reduces irritation and soothes skin
- Removes surface oil and impurities from the skin
3. Youth to The People Kale Superfood Cleanser (Best For Combination Skin)
This is a gel-based formula that addresses your skin issues like oiliness, dullness, fine lines and wrinkles. It is a blend of kale, spinach, green tea, vitamins C, E, K, and alfalfa cold-pressed plants that extract powerful antioxidants that give your skin the ultimate cleanse.
All these ingredients work effectively to prevent any buildup in your pores, remove makeup and excess oil, and maintain your skin PH balance without drying or stripping essential oils. This hydrating gel formula naturally lathers and rinses quickly without drying your skin.
- Balances skin PH balance
- Does not strip or dry your skin
- Removes makeup easily
- Gentle for all skin types
4. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (Best For Multi Use Skin)
From normal to oily skins CeraVe foaming facial cleanser will cleanse your face, body, and hands while taking care of your skin. The cleansed is formulated with hyaluronic acid that provides optimal hydration and retains the skin natural moisture.
The formula has three essential ceramides that remove oil without disrupting your skin PH balance and the protective skin barrier.
The formula is non-comedogenic meaning it will gently refresh and cleanse your skin without clogging the pores. It also contains niacinamide that helps to soothe and calm your skin.
- Made with ceramides that help the skin to restore the protective skin barrier
- Does not clog pores
- Ideal for normal to oily skin
- All over cleanser for body, face, and hands
5. Neocutis Neo-cleanse Exfoliating Skin Cleanser (Best No Harsh)
Neocutis Neo-cleanse exfoliating skin cleanser is a re-texturizing cleanser that will purify your skin. It is formulated with glycolic acid that helps to create a fresh and vibrant skin by removing excess oil from your skin and impurities clogged on your pores.
It contains glycerin that helps in hydrating the skin and locking in enough moisture in your skin to keep it looking healthy and glowing. Since it is an exfoliating cleanser, it might be abrasive and mildly irritating as it nourishes and rejuvenates aging skin.
- Re-texturizes and purifies skin
- Exfoliating cleanser
- Clears and cleans the skin gently
6. Ole Henriksen Find Your Balance Oil Control (Best Oil Control)
Ole Henriksen finds your balance oil control is your solution to oiliness, acne, blemishes, and pores. It is a pore purifying cleanser with a high concentration of glycolic and lactic acids that helps reduce excess oil and unclog your pores.
It deeply cleanses your pores removing all the impurities without stripping your skin. The glycolic and lactic acids help remove all dead skin cells that cause buildup in pores and clogging them.
The formula is a blend of neem seed oil with invigorating eucalyptus scent. It will deep cleanse your pore, unclog, and purify them leaving a refreshed complexion with a healthy glow.
- Removes dead skin cells that clog pores
- Absorbs excess oil and refine pores
- Has glycolic and lactic acid
- Pore purifying cleanser
7. Burt’s Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream (Best For Natural Face)
This is a natural face cleanser that is formulated using completely natural and organic products. This is the best facial cleanser for oily skin and it washes away dirt, makeup, and excess oil to give your skin a healthy, natural fresh glow.
It is formulated using chamomile, aloe vera, and soap bark extracts that deeply cleanse your skin and give it a new look. This facial cleanse also has traces of menthol that help to cool and soothe your skin.
- Removes dirt, makeup, and excess oil
- Has chamomile and aloe to soften skin
- Has a cooling and soothing properties
- Uses natural and organic products
8. EauThermaleAvene Cleansing Foam (Best For Normal Skin)
This is a unique lightweight cleansing formula that is soap-free and has a mattifying effect on your face. This gentle cleansing formula removes dirt, excess oil, and makeup from your skin leaving it fresh and healthy.
It is formulated with hydrating thermal spring water that leaves the skin smooth and soft without drying. It provides moisture and anti-oxidant protection to your skin.
It is a 3-in-one formula that can act as a cleanser, toner, and makeup remover. This formula gently exfoliates your skin for a clear complexion while restoring its PH balance.
- Moisturizing formula
- Leaves skin perfectly matte
- Removes excess oil and dirt
- 3-in-one formula
9. Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser (Best Large Pores)
This is a special cream-to-foam cleanser that controls excessive oil without drying out your skin. It removes excess sebum, makeup, dust, and dirt, and clears clogged pores. This oil-reducing cleanser gets rid of excess oil while soothing your skin and minimizing pores.
By removing impurities and dirt in your pores it reduces their appearance. This cleanser balances your skin texture and appearance by soothing dryness and hydrating the dry areas in your skin. It is formulated with aloe that soothes redness and irritation.
- Improves the appearance of enlarged pores
- Removes excess oil
- Hydrating formula
- Restores skin balance
10. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Fighting Facial Cleanser (Best Acne Treatment)
This is a dermatologist-recommended acne-fighting face cleanser that thoroughly fights the stubborn acne and prevents breakouts while cleansing your skin. It is an oil-free formula with salicylic acid that cleanses deep down into pores to unclog them and prevent acne before it starts forming for clearer skin.
The cleanser rinses clean without over-drying and irritating your skin. This acne-fighting formula is gentle enough for daily usage as it does not dry or irritates your skin.
- Clean deep into pores
- Clears up acne and blackheads
- Oil-free formula
- Does not dry or irritate the skin
How To Pick The Right Cleanser For Oily Skin?
Oily skin happens when the sebaceous glands in your skin make too much sebum. This leads to an oily skin that is shiny with a greasy texture and over time it leads to clogged pores and acne. Apart from the production of too much oil by the sebaceous glands, the following can cause oily sensitive skin.
Large pores produce more oil. Invest in good cleansing agents that cleanse deep your pores to eliminate all dirt and impurities and reduce their appearance.
Overdoing your skincare routine can lead to the production of excess oil. Excess washing and exfoliating will strip your skin too much of its natural oil. This can irritate and trigger excess oil production.
Your skin can become oilier in summer months because temperature and humidity are high. You will sweat more and when sweat and oil mixes they will clog your pores enlarge them and lead to more oil production.
Stripping Your Skin Its Natural Oils
Washing your face with extremely hot water and using products with a high alcohol content will strip your skin of its natural oils. This will trigger the sebaceous gland to produce excess oils.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I cleanse my face?
It is very tempting to cleanse your face every time you feel it’s oily. Overdoing it can make your skin produce more oil. Cleansing your face once in the morning and once at night is enough.
Does oily skin go away?
No. you cannot transition from an oily to dry skin. However, you can make your skin less oily by using the best facial cleanser for oily skins.
Why are oily skins prone to breakouts?
Because the excess sebum produced mixes with dead skin cells and gets stuck in your pores.
Controlling your oily skin and making it less greasy and shiny is easy when you use the best cleanser for oily skins twice a day. These cleansers contain ingredients that help to remove excess oil on your skin and clear and cleanse clogged pores to prevent breakouts.
From our review, our favorite cleanser for oily skin is the La Roche-PosayEffaclar purifying foaming gel cleanser. It removes excess oil and shines from your skin while maintaining its PH balance without stripping its essential oils. This cleanser is also alcohol-free and it is suitable for people with sensitive and acne-prone skins.
- Best Gel Eyeliners According to Experts: You Can Consider
- Best Korean Eye Creams to Get a Fresh look
- Best Rosehip Oils for Face: More Than Just a Pretty Scent
About Author (Susan R. Orrell)
Susan R. Orrell is a well-respected skin care expert and blogger. She has extensive knowledge of skin care products and routines and is dedicated to helping others achieve healthy, radiant skin. Her blog, "The Apex Beauty," is a go-to resource for skincare information, and readers around the world trust her advice. Whether you're looking for tips on how to treat acne, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, or maintain healthy skin, the blog has something for everyone.