Does your makeup vanish within an hour or two after spending enough time applying it to your face? If yes, that should not be the case. Or are you using the wrong products? Everyone’s wish is to have their makeup last enough hours to get them throughout without the need to redo it. The solution is to use the best drugstore setting powder to keep your foundation and concealer in place. Setting powder ensures that you have a long-lasting flawless complexion because it is the final touch you need in your makeup to hold it in place. It also helps prevent your makeup from rubbing off your face creating a smudged look and also reducing shine.
- Editor’s Choices
- Best Drugstore Setting Powders-These 10 Are Worth Buying
- 1. Coty Airspun Face Powder (Best For Normal Skin)
- 2. Physicians Formula Powder Palette Color (Best For Sensitive Skin)
- 3. Revlon ColorStay Pressed Powder (Best Oil Free)
- 4. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder (Best For All Skin Types)
- 5. COVERGIRL Professional Loose Finishing Powder (Best Lightweight)
- 6. Flower Beauty Miracle Glow Finishing Powder (Best Setting Powder)
- 7. Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless Pressed Powder (Best For Oily Skin)
- 8. NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder (Best Cruelty Free)
- 9. e.l.f. High Definition Loose Face Powder (Best Soft Luminance)
- 10. Rimmel London Match Perfection Loose Powder (Best Dermatologically)
- How To Choose The Right Drugstore Setting Powder?
- FAQs on Choosing the Right Drugstore Setting Powder
Best Drugstore Setting Powders-These 10 Are Worth Buying
1. Coty Airspun Face Powder (Best For Normal Skin)
Since 1935 to date, Coty Airspun faces powder has been in the market withstanding the test of time and an indication it’s one of the best drugstore setting powders. The ultra-smooth loose-setting powder is blended with air, which gives it a very lightweight finish leaving flawless skin. The powder provides full coverage that conceals lines, wrinkles, spots, and blemishes, leaving a flawless, lightweight finish. Also, it is packed in a jumbo container that holds more than double the amount of other powders saving you money.
- Original generous packaging with more powder
- Includes several tinted shades
- Exceptionally milled setting powder
- Best lightweight powder
- Translucent shade
- Extra coverage
- A smoother, softer look
- Flawless finish
- Naturally Neutral
2. Physicians Formula Powder Palette Color (Best For Sensitive Skin)
Physicians Formula Powder Palette Color Corrective Powders come in a pressed powder form that gives a soft, even natural complexion. The good thing is that it can be worn alone without makeup to conceal your skin imperfections or even applied over your makeup to even your skin tone. Its translucent form means that you can use it in both the summer and fall seasons. Compared to other beauty products; this setting powder is made with ingredients that are not harsh to your skin and eyes.
- Dermatologist approved
- Safe for sensitive skin and eyes
- Can be worn alone
- Natural-looking coverage
- Right color combination
- Best for sensitive skin
- Without a harsh monotone cast
- Tones may be too dark for some
3. Revlon ColorStay Pressed Powder (Best Oil Free)
Revlon Company is one of the best drugstores for pressed powder and cosmetic products in the world, and so their color stay pressed powder is also the best. Over the years, their iconic products continue to get a large share of the market. Their setting powder is all-day wear because it lasts up to 16 hours without drying up or caking. This enhances an all-day flawless complexion. Additionally, the powder is very lightweight, which gives you a comfortable feel and an even tone of your skin. Also, it does not clog your pores.
- Comes in 14 shades
- Lasts up to 16 hours
- Ultra-fine and lightweight
- Oil-free to minimize shine
- All-day flawless finish
- Full buildable coverage
- Fresh look and comfortable feel
- 16-hour long-wear formula
- Packaging could be more durable
4. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder (Best For All Skin Types)
If your skin is sensitive, then Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Lightweight Loose Powder is your go-to setting powder. Specially formulated for sensitive skin, it is made with minerals that are naturally derived with additional vitamins A, C, and E. The setting powder helps you to achieve a natural look with a flawless finish. The powder is fit for sensitive skin, and it is medically proven to reduce skin redness, which improves skin clarity and texture. The powder comes in a variety of 8 natural-looking shades that make it suitable for different skin tones.
- 8 natural-looking shades
- Breathable coverage for sensitive skin
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Fragrance and dye-free
- Contains vitamins A, C, and E
- Flawless finish
- Enhance skin clarity
- Reduces the appearance of redness
- Fragrance-free makeup formula
- Suitable for all skin types
5. COVERGIRL Professional Loose Finishing Powder (Best Lightweight)
If you are looking for a setting powder to use on the go, then Covergirl professional loose finishing powder is your ideal product. The powder is finely milled, which makes it lightweight, leaving a fluffy feeling on your skin. Its perfect finishing touch feels like a soft velvet that helps in the evening your skin tone and texture in and zaps any shine. It comes with a soft applicator that makes it easy to use on the go. It blends seamlessly with your foundation.
- Stops oily shine
- No clogged pores
- Perfect matte finish
- Comes in 3 shades
- Gentle for sensitive skin
- Smooth finish
- Buildable coverage
- Create your dream look
- Small compact
- Won’t clog pores
- Can be a bit messy
6. Flower Beauty Miracle Glow Finishing Powder (Best Setting Powder)
Flower Beauty Miracle Glow Satin Finishing Powder by Drew Barrymore is a setting powder with a pure matte finish. You can wear the powder over the makeup to complete your look or even wear it solo to zap the shine and brush spores. The powder is pounded finely, which prevents it from flaking, creasing, or separating. Its stunning packaging comes with a puff applicator that makes it easy to apply the powder anytime, anywhere. That is your setting powder if you want to minimize shine and brush spores all day.
- Puff applicator for easy usage
- Spectacular package
- No creasing, flaking, or separating
- Flattering soft finish
- True matte finish
- Satin makeup finishing
- Oil absorbing formula
- Ambient glow
- Flawless all day long
- May cake up
7. Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless Pressed Powder (Best For Oily Skin)
Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Pressed Powder is your ideal finishing powder if you always let down the oily-prone areas in your face. The formula is rich with minerals that soak up shine leaving a matte finish. The powder keeps shine at bay and puts your foundation in place, making it last for hours. It is available in 8 different shades that make it suitable for different skin tones. The powder is crushed in fine pieces that are very silky to the touch.
- Keeps shine at bay
- Best for oily skin
- Comes in 8 different shades
- Controls shine for hours
- Natural, poreless-looking finish
- Full coverage
- Does not clog pores
- Ideal for normal to oily skin
8. NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder (Best Cruelty Free)
It is made with 100% pure silica minerals NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder is designed to provide a perfect face beat by reducing the appearance of large pores and lines. It gives a filter-like effect on your skin, leaving it glowing and luminous. The finishing powder seals your foundation in place, and its translucent form works for all skin types. The NYX setting powder is as good as the high-end brands that blur the pores’ look and give your face a soft matte finish.
- Great for photoshoot
- Suitable for all skin types
- Available in 15 shades
- Offers filter-like effect
- Blurred matte finish
- 100% pure mineral silica
- Sheer coverage
- Works on all skin tones
- Probably not best for mature skin
9. e.l.f. High Definition Loose Face Powder (Best Soft Luminance)
If you are looking for an everyday setting powder, then you should be comfortable with e.l.f. High Definition Loose Face Powder. It provides a high-definition coverage that hides blemishes, and wrinkles and fills fine lines to conceal imperfections for a flawless complexion. It is perfect for oily skin since it holds your makeup without showing signs of caking and dampening. You can also wear it alone to reduce the shine on your face. The powder comes in three universal shades that make it suitable for all skin types.
- Lightweight and long-lasting
- High definition coverage
- Best daily wear powder
- Universal shade range
- Loose, light-as-air formula
- Creates a soft focus effect
- Radiant finish
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- For all skin types
- Chalky to some
10. Rimmel London Match Perfection Loose Powder (Best Dermatologically)
Rimmel London Match Perfection Loose Powder is a smooth powder that makes a flawless natural look. Despite its lightweight, the setting powder is buildable without feeling like it’s caked on. It offers quality coverage to minimize the appearance of large pores and blemishes with a flawless matte finish. The powder is long-lasting and wears for up to 8 hours. It works great for sensitive skin and has an extensive shade range to fit all skin types with no fragrance or oil.
- Wide shade range
- Lasts up to 8 hours
- Dermatologically approved
- Works for all skin types
- Natural looking finish
- Smooth & soft face powder
- Wears up to 8 hours
- Dermatologically tested
- Overwhelming smell
How To Choose The Right Drugstore Setting Powder?
Setting the stage for makeup success starts with finding the perfect drugstore setting powder. Here are the steps to help you make the right choice:
1. Determine Your Skin Type
The first and most crucial step in choosing the right drugstore setting powder is to determine your skin type. Different powders work better for specific skin types. Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Oily Skin: If you have oily skin, opt for a mattifying setting powder to control shine and keep your makeup in place all day.
- Dry Skin: Look for a setting powder with hydrating ingredients to prevent your skin from looking cakey or flaky.
- Combination Skin: For combination skin, choose a setting powder that can balance both oily and dry areas.
Understanding your skin type will help you narrow down your options and find a powder that suits your needs.
2. Consider Your Skin Undertone
Your skin’s undertone can affect how a setting powder appears on your skin. There are three main undertones: warm, cool, and neutral. To choose the right powder:
- Warm Undertone: Opt for setting powders with a slightly yellow or peachy tint.
- Cool Undertone: Look for powders with a pink or rosy undertone.
- Neutral Undertone: You have more flexibility and can choose a setting powder that matches your natural skin tone.
3. Decide on the Finish
Setting powders come in different finishes, including matte, satin, and luminous. Your choice should align with your desired makeup look:
- Matte Finish: Ideal for a shine-free, matte look.
- Satin Finish: Offers a natural, semi-matte finish with a subtle glow.
- Luminous Finish: Provides a radiant and dewy look.
4. Select a Shade
Choose a setting powder shade that matches your skin tone. Drugstore brands often offer a range of shades to cater to various skin tones. Test the powder on your jawline to ensure a seamless blend with your complexion.
5. Check for Ingredients
Pay attention to the ingredients in the setting powder. Look for products that are talc-free and contain skin-friendly components like vitamins and minerals. Avoid powders with ingredients that may irritate your skin.
6. Read Reviews and Get Recommendations
Before making a final decision, read online reviews and seek recommendations from friends or makeup artists. Real-life experiences can provide valuable insights into a product’s performance and suitability.
7. Tips for Choosing the Right Setting Powder
Setting powder is used to help put a foundation in place for a long, hide imperfections and fine lines, and keep shine at bay. The powder comes in two forms loose or pressed. Choose one depending on what you want to achieve. The loose powder feels lighter on your skin and gives a uniform smooth coating on your skin. The pressed/ compact powder is denser than the loose powder and will start caking when applied too much.
Pressed powder is ideal for doing quick touch-ups to conceal imperfections on your face. If your skin is oily, it is advisable to select a translucent powder since it reduces shine. Setting face powder can be applied to your foundation to lock it in place and make it last long without the need to replace it.
While using it with your makeup, ensure you apply it while your makeup is still wet and press the powder into your skin. This will prevent your foundation from streaking all over and help it set better. Setting powder can also be applied solo without the foundation to prevent shine and even conceal fine lines. While applying your setting powder, use a small brush or a makeup puff to apply the powder easily and press it into your skin.
FAQs on Choosing the Right Drugstore Setting Powder
Can I use setting powder if I have dry skin?
Yes, you can! The key is choosing a hydrating powder that won’t dry out your skin further. Look for powders with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid.
Is it necessary to match the setting powder to my skin tone?
While some setting powders are translucent, others come in various shades. It’s generally best to choose a shade that closely matches your skin tone for a natural look.
How often should I reapply setting powder?
The need for reapplication depends on your skin type and the setting powder’s longevity. Typically, a touch-up might be needed after several hours, especially for oily skin types.
How do I choose a setting powder for sensitive skin?
For sensitive skin, look for hypoallergenic and fragrance-free options. Avoid powders with irritants like alcohol or heavy fragrances.
Can setting powder cause acne?
Certain ingredients in setting powders can clog pores and lead to breakouts, especially for acne-prone skin. Opt for non-comedogenic powders to minimize this risk.
Is there a difference between setting powder and finishing powder?
Yes, there is. Setting powder helps set your makeup and reduce shine while finishing powder is used for blurring imperfections and adding a final touch.
The secret to keeping your makeup in place all day and staying shine-free is using the best drugstore setting powder. Forget about redoing your makeup now and then by locking up your makeup with a setting powder. For a naturally flawless finish, select a shade that matches your foundation. With many brands selling setting powder, it is confusing to choose one that matches your skin. We highly recommend Coty Airspun Face Powder because it has passed the test of time since 1935, it is packed in a generous amount where you get value for your money, and is lightweight.
1. 17 Best Setting Powders in 2023 for Makeup That Lasts, Tested and Reviewed – https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/g22738731/best-setting-powder/
2. Why You Need Both Translucent and Tinted Setting Powder in Your Makeup Stash – https://www.makeup.com/makeup-tutorials/face/translucent-setting-powder-versus-tinted-setting-powder
About Author (Nina J. Erickson)
Nina J. Erickson is a makeup blog author who writes about the latest trends and techniques in beauty. With a passion for all things makeup, Nina shares her insights and expertise with her readers, helping them achieve their desired looks and feel confident in their skin. Whether she's reviewing the newest products or offering step-by-step guides, TheApexBeauty's blog is a go-to resource for anyone interested in makeup.